"From school closing until late August, Camp Weredale provided the boys with a well-equipped, well-supervised summer lakeside home."
In 1934, the Rotary Club of Westmount bought 260 acres, with a mile of shoreline, on Lac l' Achigan, 55 miles north of Montreal, and gave the property to Weredale House to establish Camp Weredale. It was to serve as a summer home for the boys and the staff of Weredale House.
From school closing until late August, Camp Weredale provided the boys with a well-equipped, well-supervised summer lakeside home. At the time, there were some two dozen buildings, with a dining room, recreation hall, crafts shops, hospital, shower rooms, sleeping cabins, play area, outdoor chapel, Indian Council ring, rifle range, a tree house, staff accommodations, and campsites. On the water there are rowboats, canoes, sailboats and outboards.
There were 10 cabins with room enough to accommodate 10 boys. Sports included water skiing, swimming (the Red Cross course is given), archery, paddling, fishing, baseball, deck tennis, ping pong, football, and shooting on the range. Among the crafts, a boy can work at photography, leatherwork, Indian lore, and making paddles. The boys also enjoyed television, radio and movies.
Still in operation today, Camp Weredale is owned and operated by the Weredale Foundation. It currently runs four summer sessions primarily for the children of Batshaw Youth and Family Centres.